The impressive Georgian frontage of this Elizabethan manor house is a historic and architectural landmark in the central square of the bustling Norfolk market town of Swaffham, 40 mins drive from the north Norfolk coast.
Under 2 hours drive from London or 1.5 hours by train from Kings Cross to Downham Market (20 mins taxi to Swaffham), it’s the perfect getaway location.
Originally built around 1580 in the Elizabethan brick and flint Norfolk style, the house was given an elegant Georgian frontage in the mid 1700s.
Recently renovated throughout, and redecorated to a very high interior design standard, the period Georgian and Elizabethan Grade II listed features have been blended with contemporary design flair and ambience.
The rooms are richly furnished with artwork, quirky curiosities and designer furniture to create a funky private member club atmosphere, blending old and new.
Enjoy our special luxury features:
– Crisp white bed linen on memory foam mattresses with white bath and hand towels
– Sonos speakers in all public rooms to play your favourite music through the Sonos app
– Two roll-top copper and nickel baths, stepping out onto underfloor heated marble
– Four beautifully designed walk-in wet room showers with underfloor heating
– Large Bertazzoni range cooker with 6 burner gas hob, griddle and double ovens
– Two large Fisher & Paykel fridge/freezers, Nespresso machine and other quality appliances
– Two wine chiller cabinets
– Secluded gravelled courtyard area with outdoor barbecue, dining table and chairs
– Cushioned garden furniture
– Tranquil garden pond with koi and other fish
– Floodlit garden and mood-lit outdoor spaces
– Garden swing under a magnificent weeping lime tree
– Laundry room with two large Miele washing machines
– Superfast fibre Wifi boosted throughout all areas of the house
As you step into Oakleigh House you are greeted with a magnificent reception hall with high ceilings, the original stone floor and a large centrally placed Palladian fireplace with log burner. We have our piano in the grand hall which makes for a wonderful room for musical soirees. Off from the hall is the library, now a comfortable stylish living room with huge B&B Italia sofas, a large television and an impressive log burner. Mirror opposite is the formal lounge with a glorious open fireplace, an ideal room for cocktails.
From the second hallway we have the first of the 10 bedrooms (the garden bedroom) which has direct access to the garden and the ground floor cloakroom.
Through the boot room you enter the dining hall with an enormous inglenook fireplace with log burner and an impressive dining table that can see 16 guests comfortably, we can extend the table allowing a maximum of 22 guests. The dining hall then leads directly into the kitchen which has been beautifully designed making catering the large events effortless.
The kitchen has a double Bertazzoni range gas/electric cooker, 2 wine chillers, 2 full sized Fischer Paykel fridge freezers, Miele dishwasher with quartz marble counter tops. Crockery and cutlery for 30 guests. From the kitchen you access one of the four gardens. this area is gravelled and ideal for BBQ’s with a large dining table and lounge furniture. All of the main gardens are illuminated at night making alfresco entertaining at night a joy.
From the second hallway we have 2 staircases, one being Georgian and the second being Elizabethan. Both these staircases lead up to the first and second floors where we have 9 further king-sized bedrooms and 4 wet rooms, 2 of which with copper and nickel roll top baths
The gardens are landscaped and offer beautiful and tranquil places to relax in with the added peace of mind of being entirely private and secure for both children and our four-legged friends
Guests may use all areas of the house and garden. There is an outhouse with storage areas used only by the host.
Other things to note
Parking: there is room for 4 cars in our private parking area at the front of the house. Additional street parking is available close to the town centre.
The property is pet-friendly, but please discuss with us before confirming your booking.
Mobility access: ground floor bedroom with comfy substantial double sofabed and direct step-free access to hallway and garden. Ground floor toilet and sink (bathroom first floor). Two steps at front door.